Sounds in the head, audible only to a person, can have a different character: ringing, buzzing, buzzing, hissing, pulsing, clicking. They are permanent or occur from time to time, for example, only with pressure drops, after stress or physical exertion. They can be sharp or weak, intensify or weaken with a change in position.
Increased sensitivity to sounds due to constant tinnitus
Noise in the head can be localized in the left or right temporal region, in the back of the head, on the sides, or only in the area of the ears. Its intensity and nature depend on the disturbances in the body that provoked its appearance.
It is monotonous, barely audible, reminiscent of the rustling of leaves. Often does not leave a person even at rest, which causes insomnia, reduced performance, irritability and nervousness.
Noise like a high voltage line
In inflammatory diseases of the patient’s hearing organs, the noise, reminiscent of the sound of electrical wires or a transformer, does not leave. To get rid of it, you need to treat the underlying disease.
Sometimes this nature of the noise occurs against the background of high body temperature, physical exertion, stress at work.
Feels in the back of the head. Although it is not loud, it affects sleep, concentration and quality of life. May indicate vasoconstriction.
It feels like a constant buzzing in the head. It can cause cervical osteochondrosis, age-related changes in the auditory analyzer.
Sharp noise in the head with deafening
The appearance of a sharp noise in the head is associated with damage to the eardrum, a jump in arterial or intracranial pressure, or a traumatic brain injury.
Throbbing noise in the head and ears
More often it has a vascular origin, occurs due to vascular damage. A person feels how it pulsates in the temples, neck or ears.
Head numbness with noise
In case of violation of cerebral circulation due to narrowing of blood vessels against the background of osteochondrosis or other problems, a feeling of numbness in the occipital region is likely.
Presses head and tinnitus
The pressing pain that accompanies tinnitus is usually felt with hypertension or increased intracranial pressure. With a migraine, a person describes his condition as if his head was clamped in a vise.
It can be constant or intermittent, has a different volume. More often indicates diseases of the hearing organs, but may indicate hypertension. As soon as the pressure drops, the ringing immediately decreases.
High frequency noise in the head
Quite annoying, interferes with work. Its appearance is most often caused by disorders in the inner ear. It is often not accompanied by hearing loss at first, but if nothing is done, then audibility decreases.
What to do with noise in the ears and head?
Noise can cause various diseases, external factors. Certain antibiotics, anti-inflammatories, antidepressants, and anti-anxiety medications can cause hearing loss and ringing in the ear. You cannot self-medicate, you must seek medical help.
With noise in the head, a neurologist will help. For a consultation with an experienced specialist, you can sign up at the SmartMed clinic . The neurologist has extensive clinical experience and access to modern computer equipment. He will conduct a comprehensive diagnosis aimed at identifying the cause, and prescribe treatment, after which all unpleasant manifestations will disappear.
Treatment can only be effective when the cause of the noise is known.
You can’t tolerate noise in your head, engage in activities that provoke its increase, for example, skydiving, diving, etc. You need to give up bad habits, normalize rest and sleep, do everything to alleviate your condition.
Headache and noise diagnosis
Diagnosis plays an important role in the fight against noise in the head. One of the most crucial stages in the treatment of pathology is the establishment of the cause.
At the initial appointment, it is important for the neurologist to hear all the patient’s complaints. He studies the medical history, asks about recent head injuries, hearing problems, stress. After that, the neurologist examines the cervical region to determine areas of vascular compression, checks reflexes, and conducts motor tests to identify possible neurological disorders.
If, after studying the anamnesis, it becomes obvious that the ringing in the head arose due to diseases of the ENT organs or mental disorders, the patient is referred to an otolaryngologist or psychotherapist, respectively.
Diagnosis of noise in the head painless and safe
To make the correct diagnosis, instrumental and laboratory studies are required. Consider what examinations a doctor can prescribe for noise in the head:
- otoscopy – microscopic examination of the ear and eardrum;
- audiometry – involves measuring hearing acuity, determining auditory sensitivity to sounds of different frequencies;
- MRI of the brain – shows tumors, stroke, ischemic zones, increased intracranial pressure and other problems;
- CT or MRI of the cervical spine – informative for the diagnosis of osteochondrosis, hernia and protrusion , which lead to compression of arteries, nerve endings;
- Ultrasound of cerebral vessels – helps to identify the cause of hypoxia (lack of oxygen), aneurysm, thrombosis and other vascular diseases;
- MRI of the inner ear – shows neuritis, tumors, the consequences of the inflammatory process, age-related changes;
- laboratory research – a clinical and biochemical blood test is prescribed.
Magnetic tomography is of great importance in the diagnosis of ringing in the ears and head. With its help, it is possible to identify any diseases of the brain, hearing organs, blood vessels, damage to the soft tissues of the head and neck, to assess the severity of the consequences of injuries. MRI can be done at the SmartMed clinic , where a modern MRI scanner is installed, which has a high resolution.
Head noise treatment
How to treat noises in the head, the doctor decides after the results of the examination are ready. A therapeutic scheme to reduce painful symptoms is developed based on the cause.
Noise can be treated using the following treatment methods:
- Medical therapy. Medicines are prescribed by a doctor. These can be antibiotics, drugs for hypertension, brain vasodilators, blood thinners, cholesterol-lowering drugs, nootropics , and others.
- Physiotherapy procedures. Eliminate the consequences of otitis, labyrinthitis, osteochondrosis of the cervical spine. Effective laser therapy, electrophonophoresis , magnetotherapy, electrical stimulation, UHF, acupuncture, massage.
- Physiotherapy. A complex of physical exercises is made up for diseases of the vessels, the spinal column.
- Operation. If the tinnitus is caused by a neoplasm, then it needs to be removed.
Neurologists of the clinic ” SmartMed ” know all the modern methods of treating noise in the head, they prescribe the newest and most effective drugs.
All preventive measures are aimed at preventing vascular diseases, diseases of the brain and hearing organs. To prevent hypertension, hypoxia, atherosclerosis and other diseases, it is important to give up bad habits, eat right, maintain normal physical activity, since a sedentary lifestyle negatively affects the functioning of the cardiovascular system.
If the work involves a high level of noise, earplugs should be used to protect your hearing.
It is also necessary to avoid falls, stress, exposure to high-level noise, which can cause damage to the eardrum or neuritis of the auditory nerve. If you have any health problems, you should immediately go to the hospital.
When to see a doctor
Consultation with a neurologist is required even with a single episode of the appearance of noise, especially if it was accompanied by headache, dizziness, visual or hearing disorders. You should immediately go to the hospital if you experience the following problems:
- ringing in the ears is sharp and loud;
- tinnitus is accompanied by a severe headache;
- together with a buzz in the head, it lays ears, hearing worsens;
- there is stiffness of movements in the neck;
- there are problems with maintaining balance, speech or visual disturbances, mental abilities are reduced, which may indicate a violation of cerebral circulation;
- buzzing in the head is prolonged, affects the quality of life;
- the noise is accompanied by a strong pulsation in the temporal region, the temples seem to be clamped in a vise.
Tinnitus can be a sign of a severe and sometimes life-threatening condition, so see your doctor as soon as it appears. Don’t wait to get worse.