Atypical depression is a form of depressive disorder characterized by anxiety, excessive sleepiness, increased appetite, and changes in weight. Atypical depression is difficult to treat.
Symptoms of atypical depression
A diagnosis of this depressive disorder requires at least 5 signs.
The following symptoms are characteristic of atypical depression:
- decrease in energy potential
- feeling of hopelessness and worthlessness
- loss of the ability to enjoy activities you love
- difficulty concentrating and making decisions
- excessive sleepiness
- pain for no reason
- digestive disorders
- low sex drive
- sexual dysfunction
- changes in appetite
- weight loss or gain
- obsessive thoughts of death and suicide
- injury to health, attempted suicide
Atypical depression is widespread. Experiments and studies are being conducted to find out if a given depression is a subtype of the mildest type of depression , dysthymia. This type of depression lasts for at least two years. There is also an opinion that atypical depression is a milder form of bipolar disorder, also called a manic-depressive episode.
Causes of atypical depression
It is believed that the development of atypical depression occurs as a result of a chemical imbalance in the cerebral cortex. The chemical elements neurotransmitters responsible for allowing brain cells to communicate with each other include dopamine, serotonin, and norepinephrine. The causes of atypical depression have not been fully identified. The main causes of atypical depression are distinguished:
- grief , loss in life (death of a loved one, separation, divorce)
- genetic factor
- interpersonal incidents, resulting in feelings of guilt
- violence (sexual, bodily, or sensual)
- an important event in life (moving, changing or losing a job, completing school or university, retirement)
- serious illness
- alcohol or drug addiction
- leaving the family.
Treatment for atypical depression
In the treatment of atypical depression, it is recommended to use antidepressants that give quick results. Some drugs can have a negative effect on the body, so you need to follow a special diet.