Most of the manifestations of vegetative vascular dystonia affect the work of the cardiovascular system of the body, although the syndrome is not directly related to it.
Disorder of autonomic regulation manifests itself in a variety of symptoms. Including – similar to serious diseases, which increases the risk of a state of panic attack.
Attacks of VSD occurring in the evenings and at night are considered to require attention. The danger is that the patient cannot feel the first impending signs. He fails to react by taking the medicine. In addition, the likelihood of providing the necessary assistance on time is reduced.
The reasons for the development of seizures
Nocturnal manifestations of vegetative-vascular dystonia are perceived as dangerous and strong. Since in the daytime a person is able to protect himself from nervous tension, prevent the deterioration of his condition.
At night, the imbalance of autonomic regulation does not meet with resistance, manifesting itself in painful nightmares, tachycardia, inability to breathe deeply.
The reasons for the development of nocturnal VSD are varied:
- Genetic predisposition. It is transmitted from close relatives or formed in the early period of development of the vegetative system.
- Injuries to the skull, cervical spine. The danger of such a factor is that it is impossible to predict in advance when it will manifest itself. Sometimes the consequences of an old injury lead to disturbances in the work of the autonomic system after 3-5-7 years.
- Phenomena of osteochondrosis of the spine.
- Regular strong emotional experiences, stress.
- An event traumatizing the psyche: death or serious illness of a loved one, quarrels.
- Depression, blues.
- A radical change in living conditions: work, climate, time zone.
- Change in hormonal levels. Typical for women during menstruation, pregnancy, menopause.
Sometimes a person does not even realize how tired or nervous they are due to an event. In this case, attacks of VSD symptoms occur late in the evening or at night.
It is far from always possible to quickly identify the cause of the development of the syndrome.
Types of seizures
Depending on the symptoms manifested, nocturnal vascular dystonia manifests itself in different ways.
Doctors identify four common types of seizures with their characteristic features:
- Antihypertensive option. Blood pressure (BP) drops significantly, there is dizziness, a feeling of weakness, headache in the temples.
- Hypertensive type. Blood pressure rises to a dangerous level, a headache develops, and the heartbeat accelerates. Any movement seems difficult, muscle fatigue develops quickly.
- Tachycardial option. Heart rhythm disorders. The frequency of heart beats increases more than 90 per minute, arrhythmia appears.
- Cardiovascular, similar to coronary artery disease. There is a feeling of pain in the chest, in the region of the heart. At the same time, the rhythm changes, often accelerates.
Often, the symptoms of a nocturnal attack of the VSD are manifested in a complex manner. The patient not only feels how the heart begins to beat faster, but cannot breathe deeply. Simultaneously with physical sensations, a feeling of fear appears, in the worst case, it seems to a person that he is about to die.
It is impossible to predict what symptoms and with what severity will be noted in a particular patient.
How does a nighttime VSD attack proceed?
Attacks of VSD, which occur in the evenings and at night, differ in a variety of symptoms. Their manifestations are influenced by the peculiarities of the work of the vegetative system of a particular person and the reasons that caused dysregulation.
As a rule, the following symptoms are observed before going to bed or upon sudden awakening:
- Pain or burning sensation in the region of the heart.
- A sharp change in the level of blood pressure. Both decrease and increase are dangerous.
- Hands and feet are very cold, numb.
- The head is dizzy or in great pain.
- Breathing becomes shallow. It is impossible to breathe in deeply. In this case, there is often a feeling of chest tightness.
- In a calm state without physical activity, the heartbeat sharply increases.
- Involuntary urination is possible.
- There is a sudden attack of fear, it seems to the person that he is dying. Can escalate into a panic attack.
- Depression intensifies, there is a risk of suicidal thoughts.
The variety of symptoms is explained by the action of the autonomic system on the body.
She is responsible for the work of almost all vital systems (heart, digestion). Therefore, its instability can affect the work of any organ.
Are attacks at night dangerous?
By themselves, seizures are not dangerous and will not harm the body. However, they are the cause of frequently interrupted night sleep. And they can lead to other consequences.
Due to the fear of a VSD crisis, a person gradually develops insomnia. This makes him lethargic, constantly tired, intensifies neurosis, depressive state. And vice versa: sleep disorders are one of the typical causes of the development of VVD seizures in adults.
Thus, a vicious circle is formed: the symptoms of autonomic dysregulation cause fear and do not allow you to sleep. And regular lack of sleep increases the frequency and severity of symptoms.
If you are unable to cope with the situation on your own, consult a doctor.
First aid and treatment
It is not difficult to protect yourself from the manifestations of night VSD. It is necessary, with the harbingers of an approaching attack, to take a sedative on a natural basis or a tranquilizer.
Prescribing drugs for “ambulance” should be a qualified doctor after the examination. So that they really help, and not aggravate the situation.
Seizure suppression will not solve the problem. To do this, you need to undergo a course of complex treatment, which the doctor can prescribe after examining the body.
Complex therapy includes non-drug methods of the first stage. And medication, playing a supporting role.
With this syndrome, drugs only weaken the manifestations of the disease, but do not eliminate it.
For effective treatment of nocturnal vegetative-vascular dystonia, the following are prescribed:
- transcranial magnetic stimulation;
- peripheral magnetic stimulation;
- Exercise therapy – exercise therapy;
- classes with a psychologist;
- changing the regime of the day;
- a healthy diet;
- drugs that help calm the nervous system: antidepressants, sedatives, tranquilizers.
In the presence of nocturnal attacks of VSD, a visit to a doctor is a necessity. Since over time, real problems of the cardiovascular system may develop with similar symptoms.