Climax is a critical period that every woman experiences at a certain age. In the female body, physiological changes occur that seriously affect her mental state.
Age-related neuroendocrine disorders lead to a decrease, or complete extinction, of reproductive and menstrual functions. The mental and somatic conditions that accompany these processes can provoke the development of menopausal depression.
What is characteristic of depression during menopause
- Increased irritability.
- Feeling depressed, causeless sadness, despondency.
- Frequently changing mood swings.
- Disorders of concentration.
- Low self-esteem.
- Increased anxiety.
- Unmotivated outbreaks of aggression against loved ones and others.
- Internal tension.
- The absence of any motivation that can help overcome this condition.
Menopausal syndrome – the main symptomatology
- Vegetative-vascular disorders, such as jumps in blood pressure, headaches, dizziness, excessive sweating, hot flashes.
- Disruptions in the endocrine system, which lead to an increase in body weight, contribute to the development of osteoporosis, cause dishormonal hyperplasia of the mammary glands.
- Changes in mental behavior.
- Decrease in personal needs.
Scientists argue about the causes of this type of depression, but agree on one thing. During menopause, hormone levels fluctuate – the estrogen content is constantly changing. Since this type of hormone is directly related to the work of biological substances located in the brain and responsible for mood, a decrease in the amount of estrogen can lead to the development of a depressive state.
How to cope with menopausal depression
- Immediately start hormone therapy using medications that can restore hormonal levels. To do this, consult a doctor who will develop the necessary course of treatment. These measures should not be postponed; over time, the chances of success are markedly reduced.
Extrogen therapy helps to improve mood, it is often used as a replacement for hormone replacement therapy. A positive effect is achieved in cases of combining drug treatment with psychotherapy.
- Do not forget that every age has positive aspects. Your children have grown up, that is, there is free time that you can devote to yourself, beloved. Start reading interesting books, which did not have time before, sign up for a club of interests, where you can chat with new people, learning a lot. Embark on a journey, get acquainted with new cities and countries.
- Tighten your own appearance. Change your hair color and hairstyle, now is the best time to experiment. Long walking and skiing trips, visits to dance classes will help to keep fit.
- In cases where it is not possible to get out of a depressive state yourself, visit a psychologist. Pay attention to the choice of a doctor. The best option is a woman “aged” with her own life experience.
- Relatives can help cope with depression during menopause. Their attention and care can work wonders.
You can cope with this type of depression yourself, or seek help from a psychotherapist. Much depends on personal correct attitude. No need to feel sorry for yourself; menopause is not a disease, but a natural physiological process. A woman is beautiful and desirable at any age, if she wants it. Good luck!