Depression during pregnancy: causes and methods of struggle
Most women during pregnancy enjoy their position and are in a good mood, anticipating the birth of a baby. However, the load experienced by the expectant mother and hormonal failure often negatively affect not only the physical, but also the emotional state. Any trifle can upset a woman’s mental equilibrium, provoke depression — a mental disorder accompanied by anxiety, depression, depression, lack of interest in life, and a bad mood.
This condition can occur absolutely at any stage of pregnancy. It negatively affects not only the woman, but also the formation, development, health of the child. Therefore, it is very important to know the symptoms of prenatal depression in order to recognize and eliminate it in time, as well as preventive measures to prevent the occurrence of this problem.
Causes of depression during pregnancy
Many factors can trigger the onset of prenatal depression. The main ones are:
- mental illness before pregnancy and withdrawal of medication;
- unwanted pregnancy;
- predisposition to nervous disorders;
- depressed state in the next of kin;
- material and psychological problems in the family;
- unsuccessful previous pregnancy or severe current;
- fear of the upcoming changes associated with the birth of a baby;
- forced change of scenery (for example, relocation);
- lack of attention from loved ones, communication with friends;
- changes in appearance;
- fears of the future mother for the health and life of the child;
- fear of childbirth;
- professional lack of implementation, the inability to continue to build a career;
- death of relatives, etc.
Symptoms of the problem
Prenatal depression it manifests itself in different ways, but some of its symptoms may indicate the presence of health problems (for example, a malfunction of the thyroid gland). Therefore, for a reliable diagnosis of the disorder, you need to seek help from a psychotherapist. The most disturbing symptoms of prenatal depression:
- depressed mood or abrupt change of it;
- detachment from all that is happening;
- impaired concentration of attention, sleep and appetite;
- pathological fatigue;
- panic attacks;
- frequent headaches;
- delayed reaction;
- increased nervous irritability;
- tearfulness, which is peculiar to many during pregnancy;
- feeling of own uselessness, lack of realization in life;
- suicidal thoughts.
Distinctive features of depression at different stages of pregnancy
Pregnancy of a woman proceeds in 3 stages (1st, 2nd and 3rd trimesters), and depression can appear on each of them. Naturally, signs of the development of the disease in each of these periods will be different.
- First trimester
At this stage, the expectant mother may fall into depression due to the non-perception of her new state, moral unpreparedness for the early birth of the child, rethinking of what is happening. In the first trimester, pregnant women can be extremely irritable, emotional, or depressed, which can also be triggered by changes in hormonal levels. Guards should talk about the meaninglessness of life.
- Second trimester
At this time, depression occurs most often. It provokes uncertainty in their own desires. Women are worried about what they will do before delivery, as well as after the birth of the baby, and everyone copes with these emotions differently. Some discover new talents and develop in this path. Others can not cope with the experiences, close, can not accept this state of affairs and fall into depression.
- Third trimester
At this stage of pregnancy The woman’s psyche is undergoing the greatest changes. The future mother is upset about the changed shape, feels helpless, clumsy, ugly and unwanted, worries about the upcoming birth, feels her uselessness and uselessness after leaving the decree. All this affects her psycho-emotional state and contributes to the development of depression.
Difference from a bad mood
The duration and causes of appearance are the main differences between depression and bad mood. Mental disorder is more protracted and deep, it occurs as a result of the presence of one or more of the above factors, and it is difficult to confuse it with a bad mood.
Poor mood is short-lived, occurs due to the presence of negative, annoying factors and passes as a result of the influence of positive ones.
What is dangerous depression in the expectant mother
The fetus in the womb of a pregnant woman forms and develops throughout the entire 9 months, so the unstable psychoemotional state of the mother can harm the baby at any time during pregnancy. Prenatal depression is dangerous in that it can:
- provoke a miscarriage, worsen the course of pregnancy;
- negatively affect the development of the fetus, its weight and psyche;
- prevent the formation of language skills in the child, etc.
Treatment and Prevention of Depression
If you identify one of the signs of a depressive disorder, a pregnant woman should be taken to a psychotherapist who will help cure the ailment and tell you how it is performed. prevention. Ways to deal with the problem:
- changing the mode of the day, the inclusion in it of affairs and events that elevate the mood, the per-minute distribution of daily work;
- playing sports (if there are no contraindications);
- proper rest and sleep;
- communicating with positive people, visiting circles;
- changing nutrition, including healthy foods and natural anti-depressants (chocolate, bananas, green tea, almonds, etc.) in the diet;
- help from relatives, social support (participation in the program of psychological assistance to pregnant women);
- self-help – the adoption of a new state, positive thinking, daily hobbies;
- communication with nature – walks in the fresh air, especially in sunny weather;
- taking vitamins, herbal antidepressants (lemongrass tincture, passionflower or St. John’s wort – with the permission of the doctor);
- treatment with medicines (only in difficult cases and on the recommendation of a specialist).
In addition, excellent prevention of prenatal depression is self-care. A hike in a beauty salon, a massage room, a relaxing bath, as well as shopping always lifted women’s spirits and relieved stress.