Depression has an impact on the human body, his thoughts, relationships with others, as well as other areas of life. Manifestations may be weaker or stronger, but there is good news – depression is treated. We will talk further about how to deal with it better in the article.
Signs of Depression: How to Recognize Alarming Symptoms
Depression is manifested in the mindset of a person, his feelings, actions, and body. From the point of view of a change in thinking, the following may speak of the onset of a depressive state. symptoms:
- endless reflections, doubts;
- difficulty concentrating;
- feeling of hopelessness;
- self-deprecating thoughts;
- difficulty making decisions;
From the point of view of physical manifestation, such changes can indicate depression:
- unhealthy eating behavior (loss of appetite or increased craving for food);
- sleep disorders;
- pain in the neck and shoulders;
- shaking hands, cold hands or hot flashes;
- chest pressure;
- feeling of coma in the throat;
- digestive disorders (such as constipation or diarrhea); causes of depression
- decrease in sexual desire.
Emotional signs of depression:
- feeling of despair, hopelessness, despondency, weakness;
- appearance of fears of the future;
- feeling lonely;
- lethargy, lack of interest;
- emotional excitability;
- inability to rejoice, feeling of insensitivity and inner emptiness;
- sense of inferiority and guilt.
Signs of depression in behavior:
- refusal to communicate with friends, partners, colleagues;
- hopeless crying;
- difficulty or acute reluctance to perform daily tasks (brushing your teeth, preparing food, etc.)
- neglect or rejection of the hobby;
The severity and causes of depression: is it worth fighting?
People tend to make mistakes and also take responsibility for them. Unfortunately, not everything in life goes smoothly, and sometimes you have to react to disappointments, injuries and losses. When do unnecessary experiences turn into dangerous pathological depression?
Forms of depression:
- recurrent depressive disorder.
The terms “endogenous depression”, “reactive depression”, “neurotic depression” and “psychogenic depression” are less commonly used by professionals today. The treatment process does not take into account causes of depression and a provoking factor, how much is the severity of the condition. After all, only a small proportion falls on the result of a hereditary disorder (for example, bipolar affective disorder), the main cause of most depressions is the lack of mental coping strategies.
Psychological coping strategies include the ability to cope with rejection, criticism, loss, to be able to endure conflicts and solve them, to cope with mistakes and defeats. From improving these skills depends on the outcome of treatment and prophylaxis ailment.
The fact that people react differently in the same situation shows that it is not the situation itself that causes depression, but negative thoughts about it.
Genetic depression, such as bipolar affective disorder , and severe depression, need treatment. As a rule, this is done using a combination of drugs in an outpatient or inpatient psychotherapy.
In mild to moderate depression, the victim can help himself.
A psychotherapist’s consultation will be especially helpful in the event of:
- lack of strength to overcome the causes of depression;
- inability to concentrate;
- appearance of memory problems;
- chronic depression and a sense of hopelessness.
Top Tips for Prevention and Self-Overcoming Depression
Owners of mild or moderate depression to smooth out the situation will help the following tips.
- More movement. An excellent means to increase the proportion of positive emotions are regular exercise. Especially useful gardening, walking or cycling (at least two hours a week, 30 minutes a day), swimming. A sufficient level of mobility will help improve mood. Achieving all the new results in the performance of physical activity creates a feeling that a person can change the situation, becomes stronger and better. In addition, the extra time in the fresh air will help strengthen your health, giving vitality.
- Cultivating new perspectives on life and conflict resolution strategies. The main cause of depression is an unjustifiably negative assessment of the situation. For example, when the assessment is much worse than the real situation. In such a situation, a person sees himself in it much more helpless and hopeless, which intensifies the depression. Therefore, it is important to check the truth of their judgments. For example, with the help of a psychologist or independently. To do this, it is important to provide yourself with evidence of the real hopelessness of what is happening, as well as to recognize exactly which actions or thoughts led to its development. After that, try to present the most difficult development of the situation and the way out of it, because more often the unknown scares us. It is important to learn to perceive personal mistakes not as a sign of unfitness, but as an invaluable experience.
- It is necessary as often as possible to focus on something positive or neutral. Instead of self-typical questions for a depressed person, such as: “Why me?”, “How can I live without …?”, “How can I endure it?”, Etc., others should be asked. For example: “What can I do to change the situation for the better?”, “How did others cope with this situation?”, “When did I cope with this situation before?”, “What helped me then?”, “Who could help me ? “,” What would be good for me now? “.
- You can break a serious situation into daily mini-goals. In overcoming you need patience, and excessively high expectations reinforce depressive thoughts and feelings. The gradual solution of small tasks on the way to success and reward for them is the best positive motivator.
- Do not self-resort to taking antidepressants. For the treatment of mild and moderate signs of depression, psychotherapy is more effective than medication. The appointment of medicines is only a doctor. Do not be afraid to seek psychotherapeutic support, as well as live, breathing deeply. After all, only someone who is satisfied with himself can have positive relationships with other people and the world around him.