Healthy sleep creates a good mood and normal working capacity for the day.
A sleepless person not only feels optimal after rest, but also contributes to their health in the future. Problems with night rest, provoke the development of physical (somatic) diseases and psychological, intellectual disorders.
The reasons for the development of insomnia
Sleep disturbances are common and can significantly reduce a person’s quality of life. It becomes especially dangerous if it goes into a chronic stage.
However, not everyone finds the time and desire to immediately see a doctor.
Therefore, the question often arises: what to do at home, if insomnia is tormenting, I cannot sleep, how to treat and overcome the disorder that torments every day, how to cope with the problem, determine the reasons, what exactly needs to be taken or drunk in order to cure the disease once and for all …
People have accumulated a lot of advice, the relevance of which is recognized by official medicine.
It is possible to cope with the problem on your own if its appearance was not provoked by a serious physical or mental illness. Below we offer several remedies with reviews that will help get rid of morning insomnia and lack of sleep at night quickly and without pills, both at home and on the road.
Effective treatment of sleep disorders and insomnia with folk remedies in men and women is possible only when the cause of the problem is established. Until the negatively acting factor is eliminated, one should not hope for the return of restful sleep.
Common reasons are:
- constant background noise, sharp sudden sounds in the night;
- excessive lighting (light pollution), irritating light sources;
- lack of oxygen in the room, unsuitable temperature;
- abuse of drinks containing caffeine in the afternoon;
- alcohol consumption – sleep after libations is defective, comparable to stunning;
- poor nutrition, affects both lack of food and excessive consumption of heavy, fatty foods shortly before going to bed;
- disrupted schedule due to work or lack of the habit of going to bed and getting up at the same time;
- changed time zone due to flights, rotational working conditions;
- stress, depression, constant nervous tension;
- side effects of certain medications.
In addition to factors affecting a person from the outside, easily removable, there are also pathological processes in the body itself. To identify and treat them, you will have to consult a doctor.
A number of diseases and pathologies affect the development of insomnia:
- digestive disorders;
- the development of symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease in young and old people;
- heart failure;
- mental illness, schizophrenia;
- pregnancy or menopause;
- sleep apnea;
- allergic reactions;
- hyperthyroidism, excessive thyroid function;
- hypertrophy of the prostate gland, forcing men to get up at night to use the toilet.
How to cope, overcome and completely defeat insomnia, normalize sleep in an adult without drugs and pills, how to effectively eliminate the effects of lack of sleep, when you cannot fall asleep on your own, what to do with dyssomia, when there is no time and desire to fight sleeping pills with it? Recall the experience of generations of people who have suffered from the same problem. And choose an effective remedy for you!
When thinking about what can help with insomnia, first of all, remember the rules for eliminating factors that interfere with sleep. Try the following sleep hygiene tips for a while.
Within a week, the following measures will give results:
- Turn off gadgets an hour before bedtime. Break the habit of checking social media in bed or watching an episode of a series. Take this time to relax your body and calm your thoughts.
- Cut out coffee and tea in the afternoon, or limit it after 4 pm.
- Regulate physical activity. Exercise in the morning or at least 4 hours before bed.
- Avoid energy drinks and alcohol, especially in the evening.
- Try to avoid heavy late dinners and late night snacks.
Improving sleep hygiene for children and adolescents is especially effective.
We often meet requests: “Help, I was tormented by insomnia, what to take from it, what means to use, exercises to do, what needs to be done?”
People are ready for complex procedures and medication in order to find a restful deep sleep. Often this requires nothing more than your own brain.
If the cause of sleep problems was external factors, stress, then mental practices will help to cope with the problem:
- When you go to bed, turn off unpleasant thoughts. Dream or remember good things, come up with a fantastic story, a fairy tale. Be sure to visualize your thoughts while lying down with your eyes closed.
- Count in reverse order from 100 to 0. Perhaps sleep will come already in the middle of the count.
- Relax and imagine in detail that you are lying in a hammock, in a place blown by a light pleasant warm breeze. Concentrate on recreating the feel of a slight rocking motion. After three or five, you will be lulled by a measured roll.
- When sleeping on a hard surface, use the body-off technique. With your eyes closed, relax, focus on the fingers of your right hand, order them to cease to exist. Then give this command with your wrist, forearm, and gradually “turn off” the whole body. The main thing is not to move. This method will allow you to instantly plunge into sleep, restore strength.
- The blackboard contains several techniques. With your eyes closed, imagine yourself standing at a regular blackboard with a sponge in one hand and chalk in the other. Mentally draw a circle on it, and then the number 100. Erase it, replace it with 99, 98 and so on. Instead of a number, write the letter X in a circle and erase alternately the rays converging to the center, and then draw it again. Mentally write the word “sleep” in the circle and slowly erase it along the lines of the letters.
- Choose the type of nature you like. Turn on the appropriate soundtrack: sounds of the surf, rain or forest. Concentrate on visualizing the sensations of being in this place. Imagine yourself relaxing in your favorite place.
With a mild form of insomnia caused by stress, fatigue, thanks to the imagination, each of these techniques will lead to rapid sleep and recovery.
Folk remedies for insomnia
There are many tips on how to treat insomnia at home with folk remedies, how to overcome violations and learn how to fall asleep easily. We have selected recipes, the effectiveness of which is confirmed by the experience of people and the observations of doctors.
Soothing drinks taken just before bed:
- Warm milk – a recipe known for millennia, you can add a drop of honey. The trick is to keep the liquid warm, not hot.
- Banana smoothie. The composition is simple: a glass of milk, a medium banana and a spoonful of almond paste. Whisk the ingredients in a blender and drink half an hour before bed. The potassium and magnesium contained in the drink will help to relax the muscles that are tired during the day.
- Yogurt without additives. It is also worth drinking a drink at room temperature, and not standing in the refrigerator.
- Freshly squeezed cherry juice. The berry is rich in melatonin, a substance responsible for the work of the biological clock. Its intake into the body contributes to the normalization of biorhythms. But this method only works with a fresh drink. Packaged bags will not work because of the sugar content.
A properly prepared broth, a product eaten on time and tea for sleep will allow you to go to bed on time and have a quality rest.
If insomnia is tormenting, you cannot fall asleep for a long time at night or fall asleep when necessary, you are tormented by fatigue due to the inability to sleep, then a person during dinner can use folk remedies against bad sleep, the main thing is to know what exactly you need to drink:
- Motherwort relieves nervous tension, gives relaxation, normalizes sleep. The effect is cumulative, so you need to drink the solution during the day.
- Chamomile is a classic quick-acting remedy. A cup of hot chamomile infusion half an hour before bedtime will give you relaxation and sound sleep.
- Peppermint is an excellent aid for insomnia or poor sleep, a folk remedy that is advised to get healing from problems with the gastrointestinal tract and inflammatory conditions that lead to lack of sleep
- Thyme or thyme. The substances included in the herb not only calm the nervous system, but also normalize blood circulation. They stimulate the supply of oxygen to the brain, restore the work of the central nervous system.
- Honey is good for sleep, if you take it for insomnia or drink it when you suffer from nervousness in other drinks, according to reviews, it saves you when you need to fall asleep quickly.
Folk remedies for good sleep, selected according to reviews, help when insomnia is tortured, but what to do if the cause is a disease and treatment is required, it is better to find out from a doctor.
On our site there is more detailed material about which herbs help with insomnia.
Sleep disturbance is not always a harmless condition that reduces performance. Often, this is a symptom of an illness. In this case, you will not be able to do without a hospital examination and pills.
Often, a problem arises suddenly and needs to be dealt with as quickly as possible. And the question arises: “What should be done with insomnia, if you cannot sleep, and the fight is possible only without drugs, what simple remedy will help?” Especially relevant is a safe solution for pregnant women and the elderly.
In this case, aromatherapy will come to the rescue:
- Chamomile, Lavender and Neroli Oils are a comprehensive approach for sleep problems.
- Sage and bergamot will help in case of stress or nervous breakdown.
- Rose oil can help relieve nightmares.
- Rosemary, orange, frankincense, laurel, are effective when sleep disturbances become chronic.
Home treatment of insomnia is possible by combining methods of struggle, decide not only the smells, but also what herbs you should drink in case of sleep disturbance.
Yoga for sleep problems
Sometimes a problem arises of what to do if insomnia is already 3-4 days, you cannot fall asleep at night, and medications are either not available or they cannot be used. At the same time, no means help. In this case, it is worth turning to one of the most ancient ways to restore the normal functioning of the body – yoga .
If insomnia torments you at night, you can’t fall asleep and lie for a long time, and it is impossible to take the medicine, then it is better to do what will definitely help girls and men. Yoga also gives results for neurological problems.
We suggest trying asanas that help you relax:
- Balasana – sit on your knees, bending forward and stretching your arms, place your palms and forehead on the floor. Breathe slowly. This pose will help you fall asleep even with pain.
- Savasana – lie on your back with your arms extended along your body and relax. Breathe slowly and deeply, concentrating on pleasant thoughts.
- Sukhasana – Sit on the floor or hard bed with your legs crossed, bend forward with your arms outstretched. Try to touch the floor with your elbows and relax.
Among the many popular methods, there is sure to be exactly the one that will save you from sleep problems.
It is best to apply them in combination, acting simultaneously on the body and mind. Choose the optimal set of measures in cooperation with a sleep doctor.